2013 will be remembered as one of the toughest Comrades Marathons. The searing heat and strong winds saw many runners struggling their way from Durban to ‘Maritzburg.
Here are 7 of our (many) memorable Comrades 2013 moments:
- South African Claude Moshiywa won the 2013 Comrades, in a time of 05:32:09. He crossed the finish line a comfortable 9 minutes ahead of second placed Jonas Buud (Sweden).
- Russian twin Elena Nurgalieva won her 8th Comrades Marathon. She is now just one win away from equaling Bruce Fordyce’s 9-win record.
- Defending champion Ludwick Mamabolo finished in 4th place, after spending the last year fighting doping allegations from the 2012 race.
- Charne Bosman was the first South African women across the line, in 5th place. She was just pipped at the finish line by Scottish runner, Joasia Zakrzewski.
- Alan Robb ran his 40th consecutive Comrades Marathon. An inspiration to us all!
- 14 336 out of 19 907 entrants started the race. Only 10 188 finished.
- Around 7000 runners poured over the finish line in the last 90 minutes.
Congratulations to every runner who tackled the 2013 Comrades Marathon!
What will you remember about the 2013 event?